My map

Traditional lifestyle in Ollantaytambo

Ollantaytambo is a little town strategically situated between Cusco and Machu Picchu. In the times of the Incas, it was a place for travelers to get rest and food. Today most of the infrastructure built by the incas remains, like the complicated system of canals or the stoned walls of the houses.
A traditional community, the Willoc can be easily recognized in the streets of Ollantaytambo for its unique red outfit and colorful hats. With the arrival of the Spaniards and the consolidation of the system of country properties, this indigenous community has retired to higher lands, but comes back to the city to buy food at the local market.

We, like many other tourists, ended up here to take the train to Agua Calientes (the city from where to access Machu Picchu). There is no other access to this national wonder besides walking of course. A guide explained me that it's meant to protect the site from "tourist invasion".. but already we are not far from that.. 2500 tourists daily according to the authorities, up to 5000 according to the ticket seller...

In Ollantaytambo I found a husband. I met the sister of our hostel owner and we chatted for some time, joking about our life and so on, and I, stupidly, told her I was single. Then she jumped on the occasion and offered me to meet her brother, the hostel owner himself. I said "no thanks", and that was it. But the next day, just waking up and going to the bathroom, I cross the route of the famous brother. He smiles at me euphorically and tells me "You have beautiful hair!"... And here, I say to myself "Noooo, the sister told him!! I'm in trouble!".... Indeed, the guy was waiting for me each time I would go out of the room, smiling like an idiot and showing his beautiful golden teethes... He offered me to stay for free in the room, to get married, and many other things.... Thankfully we left the same day, back to Cusco and when saying goodbye to him he assured me he will look for me over there... Crazy! Conclusion: never say you're single, even to a girl!!!







1 comments:

Shaan said...

Haha.. single, ready to mingle!!

Post a Comment

What would you have liked to see more on this blog?

Updates in your mailbox

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

About me

About me

Travelling to learn, learning to travel.