My map

Traveling in question

When I meet people and say I've been traveling for 13 months now, their reaction is always the same. The most frequent one is: "Wow! You're rich or what? How do you finance that?". And the 2nd most frequent is: "Wow! You're lucky, I wish I could do the same".
I find that both lack terribly of creativity and imagination apart from being totally untrue.
For the first one, people are always under the illusion travel is expensive. It’s not. There’s a plethora of ways to travel cheap. I traveled South America for about 20 dollars a day. I’ve heard of people who do it on less. Travel is not expensive, you just need to make it a financial priority. We regret the things we didn’t do. If you want to travel, use that money now- you can’t take it with you when you die.
For the 2nd one, what keeps people from traveling? "I've too many responsibilities". This is the biggest excuse people give. But when you leave, you have none. Bills disappear, car payments go away, errands you have to run become non-existent. It is often said that the more stuff we own, the more our stuff owns us. The modern world creates a lot of baggage that ties us to society’s approved path. Once you make the decision to go, you’ll find that all those bonds quickly disappear and those responsibilities vanish. The only responsibilities I have are the ones I create for myself, the only bills I have are those of my everyday needs. Once you come back, you’ll also realize you can do with much less. Also I've seen entire families traveling for one year on a bicycle. The limits we have are the ones we give to ourselves...

In the end, it's fear that keeps most people from traveling.

Instead of these two basic answers, I wish I would be asked: "What did you learn in 13 months?", "Where have you seen the most beautiful smile?", "What are your dreams?".... But nobody has ever asked me any of these questions...

As Antoine de St Exupery wrote: "Grown up never ask you any questions about essential matters. [...] If you were to say to the grown-ups: "I saw a beautiful house made of rosy brick, with geraniums in the windows and doves on the roof," they would not be able to get any idea of that house at all. You would have to say to them: "I saw a house that cost $200,000." Then they would exclaim: "Oh, what a pretty house that is!"

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I for one would not say "I wish I could do the same"; most people who say that are happy to stay home
But we have been following your travels thank to your blog, and we thank you

Post a Comment

What would you have liked to see more on this blog?

Updates in your mailbox

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

About me

About me

Travelling to learn, learning to travel.